Monday, August 20, 2012

North Umpqua Chronicle - August 20, 2012


The Summer Run of steelhead is well underway; my legs are already exhausted as a mountain climber, my casting arm aches like a sore armed Seattle reliever, my feet hurt like a New York cop..… take it from me, I am thrashed.    Fishing partner Jim Stanton is even worse off in my estimation.  We happened to stop at Spot X……Stanton sees a fish down there and magnanimously I allow him to go down and fish for it. 

I am the older of the two, you see,…..by one week and I question Jim’s good sense as we gazed down the steep, rugged trail of shattered loose rock with very little hand holds to cling to. He somehow survives the trip down. Surprisingly the fish is still there.  He wades upriver slightly out of view and then there is a shout from below. I holler “have you got him” and then see his yellow fly line being launched through the air  unencumbered by any connection to the fly rod and continuing out over the trees, flying away free to land who knows where. We are sure it would have won the Olympic fly line throw if there was such an event. We have no idea how the line got disconnected from itself. I thought it was truly hilarious…Jim, not so much.

Pat Mc.

No comments:

Post a Comment